Monday, October 21, 2013

Welcome to Ashleigh Grove

It has been a week since I moved into my flat (love my flatmates! -3 incredibly sweet and fun women), and I have finally composed a video tour for you...enjoy :)

     I came to Newcastle with 2 bags, a guitar and a backpack. Last weekend, I filled Rob's suzuki with all the stuff I had to move into my flat...I am not surprised.  This has been a pattern I have slowly figured out about this experience: I bring little and take away much more. More luggage, expectation and love; all of which are exceeded with each new encounter.  I know I am not the first to discover that, when it comes to God, you always receive ten fold of what you give, but it is none the less humbling. 

    I am working to create strong relationships within the church for the young professionals and students, and I gain many amazing friendships in the process. 
    I am holding lunches to bring the whole of the congregation together in fellowship, and I find I have been made a part of this amazingly loving family. 
     I have started a free dance class for the students, and have such fun dancing without inhibition. 
     I lead a student small group on monday nights, and am given time to relax and explore how my own faith is strengthening. 
     I knit with some ladies each wednesday to make a blanket for Africa, and am loved, looked after and mentored by Katie (Rob's wife), Margaret (one of the Church stewards) and the other ladies there.
     I attend a meeting, and am overwhelmed with support from those I work with.

I could go on for days about all the examples of how I have received so much in my two months here thus far, but the point I am trying to make is: as much as this blog is to tell of all that I am doing here in Newcastle, I can't help but believe that the only way to express my year is, not in the things I do, but in the things God does. Describing this journey in the ways this community and the Jesmond Methodist Church family loves. And I can tell you from a front row seat...that that love is gonna rock this city.

Cheers for now
-Elie




No comments:

Post a Comment